Okay, that’s not quite how the poem goes. But all of the precipitation in April and following months can really cause a headache for both homeowners and business owners alike.
What are the main causes for structural flooding? And what can we do to prevent it?
According to West Bend, flooding can occur for many reasons:
- Clogged gutters
- Foundation cracks
- Window leaks
- Blocked sewers
- Sump pump failure
- Pipe bursts
- Heavy rain or melting snow
What can you do to help prevent a devastating loss? A few suggestions from West Bend:
- Clean gutters and downspouts regularly
- Install a generator or battery backup for your sump pump
- Install a one-way float valve in floor drains
- Invest in a water detection system
Some sobering statistics about flooding and water damage from West Bend:
- Water damage is the second most frequently filed insurance claim in the United States
- Water damage claims account for $11 billion dollars in damages annually
- The average cost of a water damage claim is $5,000
- Up to 93% of the cost of water damage could have been prevented by the use of a shut-off system or water leak detection system
- 8% of all water damage to buildings is due to weather
Want to talk more about your homeowners or business insurance coverage? Let us talk you through water prevention/coverage. Call us anytime at 763-551-1300.
For additional information on water damage prevention, read these two helpful articles from West Bend: