Do you own a home-based business? What you need to know for insurance!

October 10, 2018

Home Business Flyer from Safeco

Do you own a home-based business? Perhaps you make jewelry. Or are a family photographer. Maybe you sell product through one of the many direct-selling companies (think Mary Kay, Rodan and Fields, Tupperware, etc.). Or freelance in graphic design. Whatever your home-based business, you have tools, office supplies, inventory, a computer, or other business-based items.

Does your insurance cover these items in case of theft, fire, etc.? Are you assuming these items fall under your homeowners policy since they are in your home? If so, your assumption is wrong. Your homeowners policy does not protect your home business property or liability exposure.

So what can you do? You can purchase a business package specially for home-based businesses which fill in the gaps of coverage.

More of a visual learner? Look at this flyer from Safeco, which does a good job of explaining this type of coverage.

If you have a home-based business and want to talk to us about your coverage options, please call us at 763-551-1300. We’re happy to run through your specific business scenario with you!